Quite a while ago VMware released a VDI optimization tool that was aimed at Windows 7 use cases. This optimization tool tweaked a lot of settings to help reduce IOPS in a VDI environment. It was quite handy, and I used it for my VDI deployments. Now VMware has updated the tool to cover Windows 8, plus Remote Desktop services for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. New for 2014 is:
- Updated templates for Windows 7/8 – based on VMware’s OS Optimization Guide
- New templates for Windows 2008/2012 RDSH servers for use as a desktop
- Single portal EXE design for ease of deployment and distribution
- Combination of Remote and Local tools into one tool
- Better template management, with built in and user-definable templates
- Results report export feature.
You can download this FREE tool here. This isn’t just limited to VMware deployments, so even if you use Citrix, the tool could be quite useful.