Innovations in Horizon 7:
- Makes Desktop and App management easy
- Just-in-time desktops – VM fork technology. Drive down storage costs by 30%. Deliver apps instantly. Streamline OpEX by 50%. No more lengthy recompose operations. Faster provisioning, better performance, simplified desktop administration. Significantly lower load on vCenter (1/14th). No refresh, no recompose, no rebalance.
- Smart Policies – Ties the desktop to the user so you can customize based several attributes. Sets policies like cut/paste, mounting local disks, no local printing, inhibit certain apps from running, change PCoIP profile based on WiFi usage, etc.
- True SSO – With WorkSpace One you can authenticate with many different methods, a certificate is generated, and logs into Windows without having to provide username/password to Windows.
- Infrastructure Updates – Cloud Pod Architecture (CPA) – Combines multiple horizon environments into a single federation. PODs managed independently. Uses global load balancing. New in 7 is increased scale (25 pods across 5 sites), more flexible entitlements, improved failover support, integration with VMware identity manager.
- Access Point – Hardened appliance for external user access. SLES 12 Linux appliance. Pass-through authentication, smart card support, SAML pass-through, RADIUS/SecureID support. Blast over port 443. Enhanced health status.
- Automation Improvements – Integrated scripting for Horizon. Integrated with VMware PowerCLI for an end-to-end experience.
- User Experience – New remoting protocol (Blast Extreme). PCoIP will be supported into the future. Blast uses H.264, GRID optimized, uses less bandwidth, TCP or UDP, adapts better to lossy networks, better battery life.
- Blast Extreme and PCoIP feature parity – Most zero clients can’t support the Blast protocol. But same common feature rich user experience. You do not lose any client features using Blast Extreme.
- WAN Optimization – When operating in TCP mode, the SteelHead appliance can perform optimization.
- vRealize Operations for Horizon with Blast Extreme – Stats like RTT, FPS, throughput, etc.
- Horizon 3D Graphics Update – Supports 4K resolution up to 4 monitors. Supports K1, K2, M6, M10, M60 cards.
- RDS Hosted apps have significantly evolved to support a lot of use cases and closed most of the gaps with Citrix