INF4528, William Lam, VMware
- VCSA is on parity with Windows server in terms of scale and performance
- VUM still requires a Windows server (future version will not)
- FULL VUM capabilities in vSphere web client in 6.0 U1
- Deployment types: Embedded (PSC and VC), or PSC as external
- Multiple vCenters can point to one or more PSCs
- PSCs can sit behind a load balancer for HA
- The focus going forward for the vCenter is the VCSA platform
- 6.0 U1 will allow you to repoint an embedded vCenter to an external PSC
- VCSA installation is guided by a GUI or can be fully scripted.
- vSphere 6.0 U1 will support both vCenter server and ESXi (greenfield) as deployment targets.
- Ensure DNS is reachable from both client desktop and VCSA .
- Ensure NTP/time is properly configured and in sync
- “U” releases are now in-place upgrades.
- Ensure SSL certificates match both hostname and IP address
- VCSA upgrade: may want to consider pruning vCenter historical stats
- VCSA configuration via web client under “system configuration” tab
- VAMI UI has returned in vSphere 6.0 U1 and is HTML5
- PSC UI in vSphere 6.0 U1 in HTML5
- Open browser to https//vc/psc
- Authenticated via SSO
- DCUI-type interface at VCSA console
- Full command line is available
- New to vSphere 6.0 U1 is a more scriptable appliancesh interface
- Increase memory/CPU resources
- Dynamic memory resize support
- No longer require JVM tweaks
- At boot time VCSA re-allocated memory
- Increase disk capacity on live system.
- VCSA has 11 VMDKs for different uses
- Run a simple command line to expand within VCSA to use additional storage space
- Patching and updates – Pulls updates from the internet. NEW: URL based patching is back.
- Password expiration: VAMI UI or CLI. Root ages at 365 days.
- Installation settings are stored in /etc/vmware/install-defaults
- Native syslog support. Configurable in vSphere web client
- Can forward vCenter logs via syslog
- VIMTOP is like ESX top for vCenter
- Support bundles – can pull logs via GUI or CLI
- Fling released for migration of Windows vCenter 5.5 to VCSA 5.5
- Tech preview of an updated product to support 6.0. No ETA mentioned.