What happened since VMworld 2015?
- End of availability of C# client in next major release
- HTML5 web client fling
- 6.0 U2 – Q1 2016
- Pricing and packaging changes – No more vSphere “enterprise” edition, or vSOM standard and enterprise.
- End of sale of vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 (August 24, 2016)
- Open source of PowerShell by Microsoft. Future PowerCLI for Mac/Linux.
- Unix to Linux Migration
- vCenter Server Appliance migration tool from Windows vCenter
- vCenter Install, Upgrade and Patching – Enhanced patching (VUM replacement)
- vCenter High availability – RTO < 10 minutes (active/passive)
- VM Level encryption – Encrypted VMDKs and configuration files
- Automation – Predictive capability in DRS. Evolves DRS to use vRealize operations data.
- Proactive HA – Detects potential host issues and evacuate host prior to failure.
- Network aware DRS
- HTML5 Client
New Friends Coming Online
- vSphere Integrated Containers – Native docker interface, container management portal, container registry.
- VMware Integrated Open Stack 3.0
- Photon Platform – Web-scale enterprise container infrastructure. Scales to 1000s of nodes, 1Ms container