Just like clockwork, the day VMware releases a major update to ESXi, HP releases customized installation media the same day. Hard to beat such great and timely support for your VMware environment! Last week VMware released vSphere 5.1 Update 1, and also posted was the HP ESXi 5.1 update 1 custom installation ISO.
If you use HP ProLiant servers, then using the HP customized ISO is strongly recommended, or even required (Gen8), for a properly functioning host. Baked in a tested drivers and HP management tools that enable full ProLiant functionality with VMware ESXi. The HP ESXi 5.1 update 1 custom ISO is your one stop shop for an optimized ProLiant server.
Remember, as always, to keep your HP ProLiant server firmware up to date with supported versions. That is very important for ESXi hosts, as the firmware and drivers are tested together in bundles. For maximum stability, performance, and best practices you need to ensure your servers are under a supported recipe. You can download the latest HP Service Pack for ProLiant here.
HP Provider Features
- Report installed licenses for HP Dynamic Smart Array Controller.
- Report New memory properties.
- Support for IP Address encoding in SNMP traps.
- Support SMX MemoryModuleOnBoard association.
- HP Dynamic Smart Array Controller split cache support.
- Report New RAID levels for storage volume fault tolerance.
- HP Smart Cache support.
- Update reporting of Smart Array Cache Status to align with firmware and iLO.
HP AMS features
- Report running SW processes to HP Insight Remote Support.
- Report vSphere 5.1 U1 SNMP agent management IP and enable VMware vSphere 5.1
- U1 SNMP agent to report iLO4 management IP.
- IML logging for NIC, and SAS traps.
- Limit AMS log file size and support log redirection as defined by the ESXi host parameter:
- Updated Intel 10Gb network driver to enable SR-IOV for the HP 560FLB, 560M, 560 SFP+, and 560FLR-SFP+. (Note: ESXi Enterprise Plus is required for SR-IOV)
- FCoE on Emulex CNAs
To support FCoE on Emulex CNAs on vSphere 5.1 U1, HP recommends using the versions of the vSphere 5.1 U1 Emulex drivers as defined in the HP ProLiant server and option firmware and driver support recipe document available here.
- iSCSI on Emulex
iSCSI on Emulex is now supported on vSphere 5.1 U1 using the versions of the Emulex drivers defined in the October HP ProLiant server and option firmware and driver support recipe document available here.
HP VMware vSphere 5.1 U1 Customized Image, April 2013, Release Notes
HP VMware vSphere 5.1 U1, April 2013, Driver VIBs
April 2013 VMware Firmware and Software Recipe
HP Custom Image for ESXi 5.1 Update 1 Install CD
HP ProLiant Server VMware Support Matrix