Note: If you missed it, Microsoft open sourced PowerShell and will release it for MacOS and Linux. VMware will release PowerCLI modules for Linux and MacOS, so you can run the same scripts on all three platforms.
PowerCLI Technical Preview
- No more snap-ins – Much more simple to install and maintain
- Horizon View module – Now distributed as a module. Now remote server enabled. Full API support.
- VSAN commandlets added
- Cross center vMotion support – vSphere 6.0 and higher
- Improved Virtual Disk Management – Disks are now first class objects.
- vSphere DSC (desired stated configuration) module. Luc Dekens wrote a script that takes existing vSphere config state and writes a DSC file.
- Parallelism – Typical for big jobs. Start-job cmdlet